Sunday, May 3, 2009

Garden

In my entire adult life, I've never really done a garden. I planted a watermelon plant once. Oh, and I harvested tomatoes from volunteer tomato plants.
But this year, I decided to actually plant a garden. Our new house has six beautiful planter boxes that I just couldn't let go to waste. (Also, my friend Kiirstin has a very green thumb and has inspired me to attempt to grow things.) So I planted. And planted. Why start small? We planted corn and peas and wax beans and zucchini and summer squash and tomatoes (for salsa-Matt and I don't actually eat tomatoes) and little baby pumpkins.

We have yet to find if I'm actually capable of keeping plants alive and healthy, but I'm ready to give it a try. Maybe Kiirstin will take pity on my poor plants and weed them every once in a while...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

6 planter boxes, that's nice. Sorry far I have killed two tomato plants this year, but no worries, I have another 3 that are hanging in there! I figured if I plant enough of something at least one thing won't die!

Anonymous said...

I mean 'so far' not 'sorry far'

Matt & Andrea said...

That sounds like a reasonable plan!

Kiirstin said...

I charge .50 cents a weed.

Xazmin said...

Lucky! Our garden spot is really pathetic.

But I'm even more pathetic, I grew up with a 1/2 acre garden...we did gardening A LOT...yet I have yet to plant a garden here and it's been 9 years!